Friday, April 5, 2013

From Dance to Drama


Theater is defined as “a building, part of a building, or outdoor area for housing dramatic presentations, stage entertainments, or motion-picture shows.” Throughout history the culture of theater has evolved from primitive dances and religious dances to Greek poetry performances in outdoor amphitheaters to the modern performances in majestic indoor theaters. The actors have progressed from only men to performances dominated by men and women of all ages. Recently I attended the World Premiere of Neil Berg’s Phantoms of the Opera put on my MSC Opas. 


It’s amazing to see the transformation that theater has undertaken. It has transformed from poetry readings with spirit into longer scripts and now hours of dramatic performance. These performances come in many different genres including musicals, tragedies, comedies and combinations of these and much more. The culture of theater has entertained people for years and years, and has been a constant form of changing drama. When I attended the Phantoms premiere I learned that the novel by Gaston Leroux has been interpreted into movies or plays multiple different ways including a rock version and a country version. It’s always interesting to see how different of meanings people can interpret from one particular writing. I wonder what life would be like if the tribal dances didn’t evolve into theatrical performances and the outside stone theaters into massive feats of architectural beauty. What do you think would be different? And do you think it’s cool to see how theater has evolved and how people interpret it? 


2 comments:

  1. I, like you, love going to see plays and musicals at the theater. I have yet to see one of the performances put on by OPAS, but would love to before I leave A&M. It is amazing to see how theater has transformed throughout the years. It is crazy for me to think about how a long time ago women were not even allowed to act. In simply allowing women actresses, theater has changed dramatically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not get to see enough plays and musicals.. I have been limited to those that are here in the university, and church plays and local performances on streets. I like how theater has advanced throughout the existence of mankind and do agree that the increase of theater technology and actor pose has made theater better than watching a television screen and an experience. I enjoy the privilege of watching performances in a found space where out of no where and unexpected a group of people would start to perform in serious facade and do a improv act.

    ReplyDelete