Thursday, March 28, 2013

Social Networking: Props or Probs


I remember when I was told never to get a visible tattoo because it would interfere with my chances at a decent job. Well that was a long time ago when I was younger and now I tend to focus on much more than just where to get that long-desired tattoo. So what else is this that I focus on? Well, my Facebook or my twitter. So this generation’s cultural form of expression and communication is something that could affect my job placement? You bet it will. I know scrolling through my Facebook and seeing some things and wondering if those people will ever be able to get a decent job, because I know if I’m an employer and I’m looking into someone reliable for the position I’m going to go to all lengths before I start writing their name on a check. I have had employers tell me they pull up those networking sites to check out potential employees. So this generation way of showing everyone who you are can also show off all your crazy weekends, or weekdays, and that can seriously impact the decision employers make. It’s crazy to think this cultural expression can impact that, but you just have to remember what you put on the internet, can never be taken off. And I’m not sitting here trying to tell to what to do or what not to do, I’m simply asking if you see that trend too, and if you think it’s having the impact it should on people. There’s not just the acquiring of the job either, it’s when you have one as well. Say you have a bad day and you go home and tweet about your horrible boss, well, that horrible boss just might see that and you might just not be in the best relation with him/her the next day. So with this new, in the scheme of things, way of expressing yourself in our culture, it comes with responsibility as well. Do you think these sites can both be positive and negative?

6 comments:

  1. You bring an extremely valid point for those who hope to have a successful career. I never post anything "crazy", just because you never know who might come across your page. It’s not worth your career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I agree with you. I have known so many people that when they begin to search and interview for jobs they deactivate their Facebook for fear of pictures of posts being discovered. You should DEFINITELY watch what you post on social networking sites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with you that you should watch what you post on the internet because it will come back to hurt you. However, looking at this whole social networking thing from the perspective of the boss that's hiring someone, I would imagine that they look at Facebook as a huge hiring tool. Back in the day, boss's didn't have this luxury of being able to search people and see who they really are. It's hard to get a grasp on someone based off of an interview so being able to search on Facebook is a very advantageous thing to do for employers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you one hundred percent. Everyone should watch everything that they post because once something is online its there to stay. But I do think that these sights do more good than bad, just need to be used with caution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good point. They say "if you don't want your grandma to see it, then don't post it." I've even heard of some cases where employers won't even consider you if you have a Facebook page, so social networking can definitely be an advantage and a disadvantage. It can also be a little frightening and nerve wracking

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree! Every day on Facebook, I see something at least one thing that I think a person should not have posted. I almost feel scared for them, because I know that their post or photo could come back to haunt them in the future. I do think that Facebook is an advantage to employers because you can tell a lot about a person just by looking at their profile.

    ReplyDelete